Saturday, June 6, 2009

Here's your bespoke application.Thanks for your custom!

During the initial days of my assignment in the London office, I was bewildered by the term ‘bespoke application’. “They need a bespoke application for CRM.” What? The only time I had heard the words ‘spoke’ and ‘application’ in the same sentence was when someone told me about an application built on top of a hub and spoke architecture or when someone simply said “I spoke to him about the application.” :-P Well, I now know that ‘bespoke application’ means ‘custom built application’ or simply ‘custom application’. But I also realized why Londoners don’t use the word custom here. On my way out from a grocery, I noticed the message “Thank you for your custom” (meaning thank you for your purchase/patronage). Interesting localization tidbit.

No comments:

Post a Comment